Tuesday, January 26, 2010

What I like to read for inspiration

I keep a good stack of magazines by my recliner. When I first started my weight loss journey I bought every kind of health and fitness magazine out there. I love to thumb through them instead of picking up a snack when I am bored. I also like to read about new ideas for loosing weight or recipes to try. Currently I have a subscription to , "Women's Health," "Fitness," "Shape," "Prevention" and lastly "Self." I can't wait for my subscription to "Self" to end!!! I used to love the magazine but now when it comes in the mail, I throw it in the trash. I know that you are dying to know why and honestly I can't wait to tell you. Several months ago Kelly Clarkson was on the cover of "Self." As you probably know, Kelly has never been a real skinny girl. "Self" decided to cut her done to size! They altered her body to make her fit their idea of what she should look like. I know that magazines tweak pictures. I have no issue with changing a shirt color or even making someone look tan but to literally cut her down to size really angered me. What message is "Self" sending to their subscribers!! If they wanted to put Kelly on the cover they should have left her the way she is and push self acceptance! That would have made a great statement in a society that pushes women to feel inadequate if they are not a size "0." For those of you that know me, you know that I wrote the magazine. I told them how I felt and that as soon as my subscription is over I would never buy their magazine again and I mean that! Some may say that by trying to loose weight you are not accepting yourself for who you are so I am being a hypocrit. To those people that question me, I do accept and love myself now. I do feel pretty and confident even though I am no were near a size "0." At the same time I also know that physically I am not in the best shape and I need to do what I can to achieve that goal.

1 comment:

  1. that's such a great idea! I only have a few but i like to read them when i run on the elliptical trainer to keep me moving and not looking at the time :)

    my blog: http://mollymariegetshealthy.com

    ReplyDelete