Friday, January 8, 2010

Keep a food journal

I am not very good at keeping a journal so this has been a challenge for me but I have discovered that doing this can actually be fun! When I first started trying to loose weight I had my husband make me a journal sheet. I had him put the date, weight, time, food and calories, water, exercise, etc on the page. I then printed out 3 months worth of sheets at a time. The problem with this journal was the size. I put the sheets in a binder and left it opened on my kitchen table. It was always in the way! I recently went to Hobby Lobby and found a cute little journal for $3.00 that is half the size. It works great and doesn't take up as much space. Back to journaling, what I really like about it is the fact that I can review what I ate over the past few days, weeks or even months. I might even discover a new twist on a recipe that I had forgotten just by looking back. Each day I post the date, amount of calories alloted, weight, water intake, food and calories and amount of exercise and what form of exercise. I layout my journal like a check register. I start at the top with the amount of calories I have and then I deduct each time I eat something. I start my day with 1200 calories. (This may not seem like a lot but it works for me. I'll explain the math in another blog on how I came up with that number for me) I am not huge on breakfast but I do eat it. I usually have a 200 calorie breakfast. That can be a bagelful, egg white and cheese sandwich (my favorite) or an Activia yogurt (LOVE that stuff!), etc. I usually, but not always have a snack between meals that is usually a 100 calorie snack. Lunch for me is usually around 300 calories. I try to save my most of my calories for the evening so I can end the day with a good dinner. I try not to eat after 5pm but I usually have at least 100 calories saved up for the evening just in case I feel the urge to have a snack. I also drink at least 64 oz of water a day. When I first started I hated to drink water so I would buy Crystal Lite and drink it. I know some of you are freaking out right now because of the artificial sweeteners in Crystal Lite. I felt like it was more important to me to get in enough fluids each day than worry about the side effects of artificial sweeteners. Just a note, I have since converted over to only drinking water. This is what works for me. If you do not like to have a big dinner than have a big lunch. The key is figuring out what works for you.

3 comments:

  1. Your blog is so cute! I have yet another post request. How long did it take you to lose 36 pounds? What's the average amount of weight you lose each week? Have you experienced any plateaus? if so, how did you get through them?

    Sorry if you've already had these questions as future posts in your head. I'm just starting to get all these questions I want to ask you! ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lost 36 pounds by May 1st of last year. That is actually very fast. I looked at my food journal from last year and from January 1st- February 1st I lost 12.6 pounds. By March I had already lost 21.2 pounds. I did hit a few plateaus and all I can say is it to shall pass. I had to stay focused and eventually the weight started coming off again.

    ReplyDelete