Saturday, January 9, 2010

Make Your Cake and Eat it Too!


Today my son Christopher turned 12. Since I took Wilton's cake decorating classes I have been asked by him to make his cake. I was honored to do this for him. Anyone that decorates cakes know that it is an act of love and very time consuming. For Christopher's cake I made my version of a Neapolitan cake. I made a chocolate layer of cake, white layer of cake and the filling was a homemade strawberry filling. I frosted the cake using Wilton's chocolate butter cream frosting recipe. Once the cake was done and the candles blown out it was time for cake and ice cream. I served everyone including myself cake and ice cream. I chose not to have ice cream but that was only because I did not feel like it at the time. I strongly believe that you should never skip on special occasions were certain foods are prepared. During Thanksgiving I got so upset when all I would see on TV is how many calories you are going to consume if you eat this and that and how many pounds you will put on. The truth of the matter is this, yes you may add a pound or two after indulging a little but as long as the next day you get back on track it will come off as quickly as it came on!! If you continue to indulge day after day after day on this kind of eating, yes you will gain all your weight back. My point is that you should enjoy your special occasions. They do not come around often. I have never avoided cake at a party. I take a mental note before I go and tell myself that it is okay. I do feel that it is okay to set limits as to how much cake you will eat. Although if it is for just one evening, EAT! This will not be the last time I have cake this month or go out to eat. Next week my husband turns 40 and of course we will be dining out and I am sure that he will want me to make his cake like I do every year. Our 14 year anniversary is on the 26th of this month. I will be going out to eat then as well. I do not fear these dates as most dieters do I look forward to them as I should. They are special occassions and they should be celebrated. Weightloss is a lifestyle change not a death sentence. It should not be something you dread. It is not easy to loose weight but I think sometimes when we put so many restrictions on what we can and cannot eat is why we fail. Happy Birthday Christoper!

No comments:

Post a Comment